Cornelius, Oregon is a small city located in Washington County, Oregon. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Oregon. With a population of 11,869 as of the 2016 census, it is the second-largest city in Washington County. The city sits at an elevation of approximately 500 feet above sea level and enjoys mild temperatures year-round.
The history of Cornelius dates back to 1871 when it was founded by John Cornelius, the first postmaster and owner of the local store. During its early years, the town served as a hub for farmers in the area who grew grains and raised livestock. The town was incorporated in 1893 and has since grown into a thriving community.
Politically, Cornelius is a non-partisan city with no major political party affiliation. It has been governed by a mayor-council form of government since its incorporation in 1893. The mayor serves as the chief executive officer for the city and is elected to serve four year terms.
The economy of Cornelius is largely dependent on agriculture, with many local businesses focusing on farming supplies and services for farmers in the area. There are also several retail stores located throughout town that cater to tourists visiting from out of state during peak summer months.
Cornelius has two public schools: Cornelius Elementary School (K-5) and Glencoe High School (9-12). There are also several private schools located within nearby cities such as Hillsboro and Forest Grove that students can attend if they choose not to attend public school in Cornelius itself.
Finally, there are several landmarks located throughout Cornelius that draw tourist attention each year including Tualatin Valley Pioneer Museum which celebrates the history of early settlers in this part of Oregon; historic downtown which features many original buildings from when Cornelius was first founded; Gales Creek Bridge which was built in 1930; and Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge which offers outdoor recreation opportunities for visitors such as bird watching, fishing, hiking trails, boating access points etc.
Population: 9,652. Estimated population in July 2020: 10,820 (+12.1% change)
Males: 5,013 (51.9%), Females: 4,639 (48.1%)
Zip code: 97113
Median resident age: 28.6 years
Median household income: $45,959
Median house value: $139,400
Races in Cornelius:
- White Non-Hispanic (58.2%)
- Hispanic (37.4%)
- Other race (24.3%)
- Two or more races (3.8%)
- American Indian (2.2%)
- Black (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (12.4%), English (8.5%), United States (6.7%), Irish (6.7%), Norwegian (3.1%), Swedish (2.5%).
Elevation: 179 feet
Land area: 1.9 square miles
Cornelius, Oregon is a small city located in Washington County. It has a population of about 8,000 people and is just a 20-minute drive from downtown Portland. The city is known for its small-town charm and quaint atmosphere, with plenty of green spaces and parks to explore.
The median household income in Cornelius is around $50,000 which is slightly lower than the state average. The cost of living in Cornelius is slightly higher than the national average but still quite affordable compared to other cities in the area. There are many affordable housing options available for those looking to purchase or rent property in Cornelius. The majority of homes are single family dwellings and there are also some condominiums and townhouses available as well. The local real estate market offers great deals for those willing to look around for them.
In terms of entertainment, Cornelius offers plenty of activities for residents to enjoy. There are several parks located throughout the city with hiking trails, playgrounds, picnic areas and more. There are also several museums in town including the Cornelius Historical Museum which showcases artifacts from the early days of settlement in Oregon as well as local art galleries where you can find unique pieces from local artists. Additionally, there are many restaurants offering a variety of cuisines so you can find something to please everyone’s palate. Shopping centers offer an array of stores with everything from clothing and home goods to books and electronics.
For population 25 years and over in Cornelius
- High school or higher: 68.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.7%
- Unemployed: 6.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Cornelius city
- Never married: 23.3%
- Now married: 61.5%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 4.2%
- Divorced: 9.7%
24.5% Foreign born (22.4% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +3,391 (+54.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Cornelius:
- TUALITY HEALTHCARE (about 8 miles; HILLSBORO, OR)
- PROVIDENCE NEWBERG HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; NEWBERG, OR)
- PROVIDENCE ST VINCENT MEDICAL CENTER (about 20 miles; PORTLAND, OR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Cornelius:
- MC MINNVILLE MUNI (about 24 miles; MC MINNVILLE, OR; Abbreviation: MMV)
- PORTLAND INTL (about 33 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Abbreviation: PDX)
- MCNARY FLD (about 43 miles; SALEM, OR; Abbreviation: SLE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Cornelius:
- SKYPORT (about 4 miles; CORNELIUS, OR; Abbreviation: 4S4)
- PORTLAND-HILLSBORO (about 9 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Abbreviation: HIO)
- STARK’S TWIN OAKS AIRPARK (about 11 miles; HILLSBORO, OR; Abbreviation: 7S3)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Cornelius:
- GEORGE FOX UNIVERSITY (about 16 miles; NEWBERG, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,032)
- UNIVERSITY OF PORTLAND (about 23 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,683)
- PORTLAND STATE UNIVERSITY (about 24 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 13,255)
- LEWIS AND CLARK COLLEGE (about 25 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,795)
- CLARK COLLEGE (about 29 miles; VANCOUVER, WA; Full-time enrollment: 5,106)
- CLACKAMAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 35 miles; OREGON CITY, OR; Full-time enrollment: 3,446)
- CHEMEKETA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 37 miles; SALEM, OR; Full-time enrollment: 5,253)
Public primary/middle schools in Cornelius:
- ECHO SHAW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 429; Location: 914 S LINDEN ST; Grades: KG – 04)
- CORNELIUS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 368; Location: 200 N 14TH AVE; Grades: KG – 04)
Private primary/middle schools in Cornelius:
- EMMAUS CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 214; Location: 460 S HEATHER ST; Grades: KG – 8)
- FOREST HILLS LUTHERAN SCHOOL (Students: 174; Location: 4221 SW GOLF COURSE RD; Grades: KG – 8)
Library in Cornelius:
- CORNELIUS PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $179,935; Location: 1355 N. BARLOW ST.; 19,653 books; 975 audio materials; 983 video materials; 60 serial subscriptions)