Brookings, Oregon is a small coastal town located in southwestern Oregon near the California border. It has a population of around 6,000 people and is part of Curry County. Brookings is situated along the Pacific Ocean and borders the Chetco River to the east, providing stunning views of both the ocean and river. The climate in Brookings is mild year round with temperatures rarely dropping below freezing during winter months and reaching highs of up to 80 degrees Fahrenheit during summer months.
The history of Brookings dates back to the late 1800s when settlers first arrived in search of gold. Over time, fishing became an important industry for locals as well as logging and tourism. In recent years, Brookings has become known for its beautiful coastline, which has attracted tourists from all over the world. The city is also home to some unique landmarks such as Harris Beach State Park and the Redwood National Park.
Brookings’ economy relies primarily on fishing, logging, tourism, and small businesses like restaurants and retail stores. The city also has several schools including a community college as well as elementary and high schools that are part of the local school district. Additionally, there are several private schools that serve students from preschool through high school levels.
Politically speaking, Brookings is part of Oregon’s 5th Congressional District which is represented by Democrat Peter DeFazio in Congress who was recently re-elected for his twelfth term in office after having served since 1987. His focus has been on passing legislation that benefits Oregonians such as environmental protection laws and increasing access to healthcare services throughout Oregon’s rural communities – something that many residents of Brookings are thankful for today!
Population: 5,447. Estimated population in July 2020: 6,297 (+15.6% change)
Males: 2,585 (47.5%), Females: 2,862 (52.5%)
Zip code: 97415
Median resident age: 43.1 years
Median household income: $31,656
Median house value: $145,100
Races in Brookings:
- White Non-Hispanic (88.3%)
- American Indian (4.8%)
- Hispanic (4.7%)
- Two or more races (4.0%)
- Other race (1.4%)
Ancestries: German (18.5%), Irish (13.0%), English (12.4%), United States (7.9%), French (4.2%), Scottish (3.9%).
Elevation: 203 feet
Land area: 2.8 square miles
Brookings, Oregon is a small town located on the Oregon coast. It has a population of around 6,000 people and is home to many outdoor activities and attractions. The cost of living in Brookings is relatively low compared to other cities in the area. Rent for an apartment or house can range from $500 to $1,200 per month depending on size and location. Utilities such as electricity, water, and garbage are all very affordable with an average cost of about $100 per month for all three combined. Groceries are also reasonably priced with many local stores offering fresh produce at affordable prices. There are also plenty of restaurants, bars, and cafes in the area that offer great meals at reasonable prices. Overall, Brookings offers a great quality of life at an affordable price point.
For population 25 years and over in Brookings
- High school or higher: 84.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.3%
- Unemployed: 5.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 11.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Brookings city
- Never married: 12.3%
- Now married: 58.5%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 11.8%
- Divorced: 16.1%
3.7% Foreign born (1.3% Europe, 0.8% Latin America, 0.8% North America, 0.8% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,008 (+22.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Brookings:
- SUTTER COAST HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; CRESCENT CITY, CA)
- CURRY GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; GOLD BEACH, OR)
- THREE RIVERS COMM HOSP AND HEALTH CTR (about 72 miles; GRANTS PASS, OR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Brookings:
- JACK MC NAMARA FIELD (about 21 miles; CRESCENT CITY, CA; Abbreviation: CEC)
- ARCATA (about 77 miles; ARCATA/EUREKA, CA; Abbreviation: ACV)
- NORTH BEND MUNI (about 94 miles; NORTH BEND, OR; Abbreviation: OTH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Brookings:
- BROOKINGS (about 1 miles; BROOKINGS, OR; Abbreviation: BOK)
- GOLD BEACH MUNI (about 26 miles; GOLD BEACH, OR; Abbreviation: 4S1)
- WARD FIELD (about 27 miles; GASQUET, CA; Abbreviation: 0O9)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Oregon graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Brookings:
- ROGUE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 69 miles; GRANTS PASS, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,289)
- HUMBOLDT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 84 miles; ARCATA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 6,800)
- COLLEGE OF THE REDWOODS (about 88 miles; EUREKA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 4,071)
- SOUTHERN OREGON UNIVERSITY (about 116 miles; ASHLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 4,424)
- LANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 157 miles; EUGENE, OR; Full-time enrollment: 5,853)
- UNIVERSITY OF OREGON (about 161 miles; EUGENE, OR; Full-time enrollment: 16,239)
- SHASTA COLLEGE (about 166 miles; REDDING, CA; Full-time enrollment: 5,251)
Public high school in Brookings:
- BROOKINGS-HARBOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 565; Location: 625 PIONEER RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Brookings:
- KALMIOPSIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 753; Location: 650 EASY ST; Grades: KG – 05)
- AZALEA MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 492; Location: 505 PACIFIC AVE; Grades: 06 – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Brookings:
- CAPE FERRELO SDA SCHOOL (Students: 10; Location: 18881 CORNETT RD; Grades: 1 – 8)
Library in Brookings:
- CHETCO COMMUNITY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $542,440; Location: 405 ALDER ST.; 45,386 books; 2,436 audio materials; 1,699 video materials; 127 serial subscriptions)